27 July 2009

Brainstorm.



While mindlessly working and contemplating my art career, the foundations for a new series in my painting began to develop.

The idea is to reference painting as it was in the 19th century: much more a form of social engagement than a solitary personal struggle as it tends to be today.

In addition, it is to be a form of visual name-dropping. Artists like Sargent painted "their people" in their portraiture; a sort of 19th century street cred.

While the physical and formal aspects of the work will reflect that time period as well (via composition and medium), I want the series to be influenced by the life of the 19th century artist. I don't want to be one of them, I simply want to experience a bit of what being an artist was like during that peak in civilization.



Therefore, I want the subject of the work to reflect not solely the people I know, but more specifically the people I know and respect, or admire. This will take that 19th century tradition and give it a contemporary and personal twist.

Many 19th century portraits were commissioned, while these will be more personal. They will be done from life in a one-on-one environment, and as such they will be more than just a record of the sitter. They will be a record of the passage of time spent in the direct company of each individual.



It is a series about respecting the ideas and practices behind the art that came before you, but it is also a series about respecting relationships and connections, and the value of an education supplemented with experience and conversation.



The idea will require more research, but seeing as I don't have a painting class next semester, I will try to make this my project.

More soon.


No comments: