28 January 2011

Stephanie Kunze

I saw this drawing on Fox 2 yesterday. I don't think I'm really exaggerating in saying that it's probably one of my favorite drawings that I've seen come out of MICA in 3 1/2 years. It reminds me of Seurat's drawings in its really subtle tonality, and variations in focus. I like the sort of ambiguous narrative, where you're not sure what the subject is grasping at, or if she grabbed a bubble that has just popped; that fleeting impermanence is great. Additionally I think the treatment of materials and textures is really incredibly delicate. It gives you the initial impression of a print or photo, and sort of wavers as you come closer and try to discover whether the lack of focus is your eyes or the image. While the really beautiful fields of graphite texture become apparent close up, the wavering focus that make the image really interesting never leave. Check it out while you have a chance!

Kudos Stephanie!


via Stephanie Kunze - Illustration

1 comment:

Steph Kunze said...

Hello, I saw your name on my blog followers list and decided to visit your blog, only to find much to my surprise this post. I just want to say thank you so much for these kind words. I really, really appreciate it - it made my day!